August 3, 2008

Fleet Foxes



Artist: Fleet Foxes
Album: Fleet Foxes
Label: Sub Pop

I had heard lots of good things about Fleet Foxes and I previewed them a bit on iTunes, but I couldn't get into them at first. Still, after so many great reviews and not to mention the trusty label of Sub Pop (along with the likes of Band of Horses, Iron & Wine, Postal Service, The Shins . . . etc.) I decided to give this Seattle band another chance. The next attempt I fell love with this record. My hesitancy was the simplicity combined with the folk sound seemed like a boring record but with each listen i realize the complexity and beauty in each song. The simple intrumentation makes for a great support for the gorgeous harmonies and can even be haunting at times. It is as if Crosby Stills and Nash mated with Band of Horses at a Arts Festival/Renaissance Fair . . . wierd I know. I recommend putting on your favorite flannel shirt, growing the beard out, become a woodsman, and listen to Fleet Foxes.

Here is the music video of track two called White Winter Hymnal to inspire the beards and flannel . . . and who doesn't love claymation





5 comments:

MVB said...

I dig the blog paul and really liked the song. Very cool. I totally hear the CSNY and some Shins too.

Good style on the posting, descriptive, obvious knowledge of music and the industry, short and sweet! You should add a title on your posts too.

I'm going to have to spend 10 bucks on iTunes every week to keep up. Definitely want to check out this group.

Excited to see the blog evolve. Peace!

MVB said...

PS. I tunes says the name of your video is White Winter Hymnal, not sure...

Kelley said...

nice blog!

i heard this song a week ago on the current, a local radio station in the metro and really liked it. after reading the post, i'm thinking i will make the investment for the album on i-tunes.

the simplicity of the music and great harmonies create a unique sound. i'm really into it.

thanks for the review!

Kelley said...

p.s. i'm diggin' the title of your blog. curious how you came up with it?

Scott D. Meyer said...

watching shot put and discus. They look just like you, but you got better music taste. Long live the grey ox.